Friday, April 03, 2009

TBWCYL Day 93 - Lucky Day

Today, I am supposed to show a little humility to the cosmos today. The book says this...

"There is 1 chance in 140 trillion that the Earth should exist.
There is 1 chance in 795 billion that life should have evolved on Earth.
There is 1 chance in 89 billion that life should have evolved into mankind.
There is 1 chance in 12 billion mankind should have created the alphabet and this civilization.
There is 1 chance in 6 billion that your parents should ever have met and got together.
There is 1 chance in 90 million that you should have been the lucky sperm that fertilized your mother's egg.
Overall you're pretty lucky to be here. Today remember that, and show some cosmic humility."

I love this thought. That all things lead to a certain moment. I don't know how accurate these facts are but they are probably close to the truth. I have been fairly impressed when it comes to how things play out in life on a universal scale.

For example: 93 days ago I went to a used bookstore and happened to find The Book. I wasn't looking for it but after seeing it 4 years earlier and forgetting about it, it entered my life at a time where I was looking for something to stop the day to day routine of my life. Since then I have done crazy stuff, made a new friend on the other side of the globe, and gone way outside my comfort zone.

I love the idea that by doing this or that, you can affect your life in so many ways. The "What If" scenario is one that never gets old because it constantly opens the mind up to knew ideas. And it is humbling. I have never been sure of God but I do know that I am the tiniest speck on the tiniest speck when it comes to this universe.

Here is an example of what I mean. Image yourself standing in a crowd. Now think of yourself on the street you are on. How many people are there? Great, now take it to a city level, State, Country, Continent, and finally Globe. It is mind crushing to try and think of that many people and the fact that you don't know any of them. I once heard a radio listener call in to say that with our Economy in the crapper, you would expect these trillion dollar bailouts to really be getting more people to think. He was answered by the statement that people's minds aren't meant to process the number 1,000,000,000,000. It is just too large. We get the idea of Millions because it is attainable and not out of the ordinary but getting closer to the millions, our minds just can't grasp the scope of how large a number that really is.

I daydream a lot...I mean a shit load. One of the things that I have consistently fantasized about is this scenario. God is sitting up on a cloud and he says "It is time to do a cleansing on Earth. I want to wipe out as many people as possible...but you know, that Trinity is an alright guy. He has lived his life with good intentions for the most part and I would bet that he probably doesn't associate with bad people. Here is what I am going to do." In his Godliest voice God proclaims to the Angels,


"I decree that Everyone on the planet will now drop dead save for ye whose lives have been touched by Trinity."

So, everyone drops dead, except for a lot of people from Midland, Texas. Someone starts to wonder, "Why us?" Everyone left alive starts to congregate to an unknown spot and once every last person left alive on Earth gets there, we figure out why we are all alive. What common denominator is there? People I held doors open for, people I let cut in line, even people I walked past on the street are all alive because they walked by me or sat next to me on a bus.

The fun of this whole thing is not to say "Look at how important I am" but is more a reminder that in the grand scheme of things, every one plays the smallest part but the actions of one person can greatly affect the outcome of other peoples lives. And that is as humbling as I ever get.

Humbly,

Newt

4 Ripples in the pond:

Girl Interrupted said...

Trinity, I loved this post!

The reason I'm so fond of your blog (and therefore you, by default) is because:

A) It's unique and different

B) It makes me laugh on a scale from QCTM to LOL

C) It makes me think (even if it's only "Hmm, how could I make peeling potatoes more entertaining?")

As an insomniac I have spent hundreds of early morning hours pondering the mysteries of the universe and what my place is in this grand scheme of things. I was starting to feel extremely small and insignificant and not in a good way. But your post just made me realise that actually being small and insignificant and probably a bit pointless too is still a minor miracle in itself. For all I know I could be making more of a difference than I suspect, just not in any obvious, overtly spectacular way. Maybe I'm just here to make smart-arsed comments on other people's blogs. Which is kinda cool. I can live with that.

So thank you!

Addy's Daddy said...

I love that you wrote a post about humility in which you worked up a scenario that God would only let those live whose lives had been "touched" by you. I'm pretty sure that you need to break out the dictionary and look up the definition of humility.

You should also look up a grammar book as well, because you used "today" twice in your first sentence and made a sentence totally not make sense here:

"We get the idea of Millions because it is attainable and not out of the ordinary but getting closer to the millions, our minds just can't grasp the scope of how large a number that really is."

Phat Mama said...

I found you this morning through Girl Interrupted's blog. I love hers and so thought that anyone she would endorse has to be good.

She's right and I loved this post! Anyone that can make you sit back & really think is pretty great.

I'll look forward to visiting more often as I've put you on my list of blogs to enjoy!

Trinity said...

Alright, a new reader. I love that. The point of my life just got a little bit clearer.