Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TBWCYL Day 138 - Dope on a Rope

I learned to tie a knot in rope today. The task was to learn to tie a Single Wall Knot. I have never learned knot phraseology so I didn't know what it meant so after trying to follow the instructions in the book, I gave up and looked online. I found an awesome video that was extremely helpful.

It made me think, tying knots is a dying art. Unless you are out on a boat occasionally or just like to string people up you probably don't have proper knot knowledge. I sure don't.

I find it fascinating that there are so many ways to tie rope up to make it hold stuff. And the best part is that the names of the knots all sound like perverse sexual acts.

Flemish Eye Knot, Fisherman's Bend Knot, Spanish Windlass, Studding Sail Halyard Bend, and my personal favorite the Round Seizing Knot. How the heck did these things even get their names?

That is all,

Newt

2 Ripples in the pond:

Girl Interrupted said...

There's a lot of unspoken sexual frustration here, Trinity ... which totally makes a lot more sense, having now read your "All Things Random" post lol

Trinity said...

I was like a 17 year old at Prom by the time I got home.