Sunday, May 03, 2009

TBWCYL Day 123 - What's the number for 911?

So, today I was to learn an Emergency First Aid procedure. Over Memorial Day I am going to be spending time with my best friend and Hetero Life Mate Thomas and my god-daughter Addison. We are going to be taking care of her while her mom is out of town. Sort of like 'My Two Dads' for 2009. I am not Paul



So, to help calm Jessica's nerves and fears for her child's life, I chose to learn Infant CPR today. I found an informative video online that was very helpful. The instructor taught the Red Cross Process of the 3 C's. Check, Call, Care.

Check the scene and victim.
Call 911.
Care for the victim.

What are the ABC's of Care? Airway, Breathing, Circulation.

So, after you check for breathing and clear any obstructions you are supposed to be checking the pulse. Did you know you check a baby's pulse near their shoulder? Addison is safer already.

I learned a few things after watching this video. If you have a pulse, do not do chest compressions. I would have and that would have been unnecessary. Also, vomiting is not a sign of life. So can dead people vomit? Hmm.

So, to do CPR I have to do 30 chest compressions and 2 breaths 5 times in 2 minutes. I hope I can remember that if I need it. I did know that you only use 2 fingers to CPR a baby. That is one piece of info you do not want to forget. Otherwise your suffocating baby might turn out to look like Wilie Coyote after he falls off the cliff.

That is all,

Newt

1 Ripples in the pond:

Girl Interrupted said...

It cracked me up that you felt impelled to state that you're not Paul! ... what's wrong with Paul?

Apart from the obvious.

Hahahaha