Thursday, March 12, 2009

TBWCYL Day 71 - Howdy Neighbor

Today's task was one I had to modify to do. It was to "Take your bus or train one stop too far, then walk and discover everything you normally miss." Well, I don't ride public transportation due to where I work so I couldn't do this. Also, it was close to 40 degrees today and I wasn't walking in that.

So, I modified this to use the car. I got in my truck, went and got gas, and took an entirely new road home that I don't ever take. We have owned our house for 2 years and I didn't know that these things were within a mile from our house. Here is what I discovered:

Christian Brothers Automotive Repair : They just opened
a FinaMart and DonutStop.
A children's park
the ghetto Oak Tree Village Apartments
Orchard Road Baptist Church
Austin Kent Ellis Park: it had a nice gazebo
Mrs. Bairds Thrift Store: I am so going to get me some discount fried pies

We also discovered that a local high school that we had only seen in passing has a community pool behind it with a freakin' sweet water slide.

The best discovery was, we have a cross street very close to us that in the 2 years I have lived in the neighborhood, I have never turned West onto. I drive East all the time but never West. Well, we threw caution to the wind and took a left down an unknown street and discovered a shortcut that will cut half the drive off of my return trip from the grocery store. 2 years. That's how long I have been missing that shortcut.

Thank you Book.

That is all,

Newt

2 Ripples in the pond:

Anonymous said...

Please review your use of the word "through" in the last paragraph of this post.

Erin said...

I echo Grammarian's comment, and I'm also happy that the book has finally made a positive impact on your life...something you can actually put to use.