Wednesday, August 12, 2009

TBWCYL Day 224 - A River in Egypt

Today's task is one of the hardest ones I have had to do yet. I was supposed to deny myself something and I stupidly chose to deny myself the pleasure of reading new comics on Wednesday. Your thinking, "So what. What's the big deal with not reading comics for a day?"

You shut your filthy mouth! Sorry. I am really on edge. If comic book readers had a religious holiday it would be Wednesday. Not a certain Wednesday but all of them. 52 different holidays. It is the day when new comics hit comic shops for the majority of the country and it is the day I look most forward to each week.

I ask myself, "Which will you read first?", "What is going to happen this month in XXXXX?", and "Will so and so survive the clutches of such and such?". I am feeling withdrawal symptoms already and it isn't even the evening yet.

You see, I have a comic book ritual. Every Wednesday at lunch I go grab a Whataburger and afterwards head to Titan Comics, the greatest comic book store in the world. It is also the home of my second job. I walk in and immediately the comic shop owner walks over and pulls my weekly titles from my file, even if he is with a customer or on the phone. I then take my stash and instantly peruse through it to see what came out. I actually already know because I check an online database every week on Mondays to see what to expect. Yes, I am that anal-retentive.

I then walk to the back of the store where the new week rack is housed. From there I start alphabetically and check every single comic that is on the rack to make sure I a) didn't miss anything for the week and b) don't want to switch out my comic for a better copy or a different cover. Then I casually walk up front, stopping momentarily to shoot the shit with a coworker, and then pay. From there I rush back to work and sneak in a couple of comics before my lunch hour, or on Wednesdays my lunch hour and a few minutes more, is over.

I don't know that I can do this. I almost broke down and went to get them once already. I even thought of buying them and just not reading them but I don't think I have the willpower for that. Talk about a test of willpower; those things would sit there taunting me all night and I would probably wait til 12:01 just so I could start reading. And the worse part is that there are quite a few books that I consider "Must Read" out this week.

I am going to go huddle in a corner and cry now.

That is all,

Newt

10 Ripples in the pond:

Erin said...

Wait...so they're (notice the apostrophe followed by "re" and the purpose they serve...) still waiting for you at the store? You didn't even pick up them up?? If that's the case, I hope you didn't scare Jeremy too much by not showing up today.

Excellent choice for true denial.

Trinity said...

I actually warned them ahead of time that I wasn't going to be in so they wouldn't worry.

What in the world was the reason behind the they're? I looked all through my post and couldn't find an incorrect use of they're, there or their.

Erin said...

Third sentence. "Your" instead of "You're." My apologies for the confusion on using "they" instead of "you" in my example.

Good thing you warned them!! Now you'll still have an every-other-weekend job.

Simon Butler said...

I’m glad you could manage it – it must have been a bad time for you. So many people show a complete lack of understanding or sympathy for this kind of addiction; they have no souls.

Girl Interrupted said...

Hahaha "You shut your filthy mouth!" made me cackle!! :P

Poor Trinity, I feel your pain, but just think how much more you'RE (sorry - couldn't resist it) going to enjoy them today ;)

Trinity said...

Well, that makes more sense. I looked everywhere for a bad use of theyre and I couldn't find one.

Just as an update, because I was without comics last night, I became stir crazy and did the following:
Did the dishes.
Vacuumed.
Swiffered.
Washed Towels.
Took pictures of comics for ebay.
Straightened bedroom.

Idle hands were not an issue last night.

Addy's Daddy said...

Can I just say how happy I am that Erin and I have turned Kate into a grammar deputy, fighting incorrect usage and spelling at every turn?!?!

Also, good job on fighting your addiction. This may be one of the first times that you have denied yourself something in quite some time...

Erin said...

Let's hear it for the grammar deputies! Hip hip hooray!

I couldn't resist.

Girl Interrupted said...

Haha ... it's like being on the winning, cool kids team! :P

Trinity said...

Yeah, except without the cool kids.