Friday, February 20, 2009

TBWCYL Day 51 - Pancake Jamboree

Okay, so I have to go out of town for a few days and a couple of my tasks really need to be done while at home so I am going to rearrange a few things. This is actually task 55 but I will be without a stove so I have moved it to today. The task for today is: Flip the Perfect Pancake. So, I went online to find a recipe for "The Perfect Pancake." Here is what I found.

2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons butter, melted or vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar (for diner-style pancakes) or 1/4 cup instant malted milk powder (for diner-style pancakes)

Directions
1. Beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla until light and foamy, about 3 minute at high speed of a mixer (I do this step in blender and mix the rest in bowl with a large whisk).
2. Stir in butter or oil.
3. Whisk the dry ingredients together and gently, but quickly, mix into the egg and milk mixture.
4. Let the batter relax while griddle is heating (or overnight in refrigerator) The batter will thicken upon resting.
5. Grease and preheat griddle.
6. The griddle is ready if a drop of water will skitter across the surface, evaporating immediately.
7. Drop ¼ cupfuls of batter on the lightly greased griddle.
8. Cook on one side until bubbles begin to form and break (this is the time to add anything like berries, chocolate chips, etc), then turn the pancakes and cook the other side until brown (turning only once).

When I got home, I mixed up a batch and after a while, Diana and I had pancakes for dinner. I don't think this recipe tasted like the perfect pancake, but I did get a few good flips out of the cake itself. Actually, my Granny used to make the perfect pancake and I am pretty sure it was Aunt Jemima mix in a cast iron skillet. I don't remember for sure, but they tasted like nothing I have ever had again.
That is all,

Newt

4 Ripples in the pond:

Erin said...

I compliment Diana's mad photography skillz.

Trinity said...

For every picture you see there are about 20 you didnt'

Addy's Daddy said...

When is Diana going to get fed up with this?

Trinity said...

I warned her before I started that she was going to have to deal with this so who cares.