Tuesday, February 03, 2009

TBWCYL Day 34 - Dictator, I hardly know her

Well, today's task was to write a Dictator to tell them to stop using torture. So, I went online and looked up some of the more popular/despised dictators out there and found Kim Jong Il but when I went to find his address, it was no where to be found. So, I kept looking and stumbled across Raul Castro, new President of Cuba. The Cuban Government has a website with an opinions email address so I used it to send my letter onto Raul.

Here is what I wrote:

Dear Mr. President,

I am an American who would like to see the U.S. and Cuba become more involved with one another. Please stop following your brothers example and begin talks with the United States so we can work closer together instead of having constant turmoil between our countries.

I understand that you are loosening the restrictions on your country by allowing your citizens to embrace technology such as computers and DVD players. I am glad to hear this and hope that this is just the beginning.

I hope our countries will soon be working to lift the bans in place.

Yours Truly,

Trinity Vaughn
Dallas, Texas


Now you may notice that this doesn't mention torture. The reason for this is that I was researching Dictators at work and a coworker who doesn't know about the book project was right behind me. She asked why I was looking up Dictators and since I am keeping it a secret, I couldn't pull the book out. So, I had glanced at the topic this morning but thought it was "Write a Dictator and tell them to stop being a jerk".

I couldn't find any other addresses of Dictators so I couldn't redo the exercise. Apparently, Dictators don't want you to know how to get in touch with them.

That is all,

Newt

0 Ripples in the pond: