Friday, February 13, 2009

TBWCYL Day 44 - Superstition

I have begun to think that this book was meant to be set out upon for me on this year. Things keep falling on the correct dates for everything. Today is Friday the 13th and coincidentally, it is also Defy Superstition day as my task.

So, the first thing I did after feeding the dogs this morning was to go outside and get two umbrellas out of the car and bring them in and opened up those bad boys inside the house. I figured if I was going to defy superstition, I was starting early. Next, I pulled the car out from the garage and went back and set up the ladder. I proceeded to crawl under it and then folded it back up and put it back before proceeding to the road. And you know what happened on my drive to work. Not a damn thing. Clearly I wasn't trying hard enough.

So, at lunch today I spilled the salt and left it spilled on the table. I'll be damned if I was going to throw it over my shoulder. I actually glared at it menacingly in hopes of giving it some extra power. However, my three coworkers and I made it back to work without peril. What was I doing wrong?

I got home without incident and proceeded to go run errands before planting it in my chair. Get this, I got a sneaking suspicion that if I went to the Half Price Books near our house that I would find a series of graphic novels that I want and so I went and they had books 5-9. I needed from 3-9 so now I am just 2 short of having all of the Preacher series. I am having the opposite of bad luck.

I was sitting at home watching TV when my sister called. I thought, "Is this it? Will I get some bad news?" Nope, she just called to tell me the home visit for her adoption had gone really well and things were looking great. WHY!!!! Where was my bad luck?

Clearly I was not doing something right so I kicked it into high gear. I went upstairs and grabbed Diana's compact and took a hammer to the mirror. It was empty so I don't think she was using it. The fact that it was left at home while she is in NY tells me it isn't that important. But, I a, not telling her I did it so later I will get yelled at after she reads this blog.

Then I threw my keys on the table. I don't know why that is bad luck but the book listed it so I thought it might help. And yes, I do have a Spider-Man key chain and I think it is cool so suck it! I got it on a trip to Universal Studios and it rocks.

Next, I went outside and stepped on a crack followed by getting my path crossed by a black cat. On this one I had to improvise. I couldn't find a real black cat but there is a Spider-Man villianess that is called the Black Cat so I just went and got her mini series and laid it out in front of my feet. It was the best I could do on short notice.

I have to say that I don't believe in superstition and I don't know, and don't care, why Friday the 13th is supposed to be an unlucky day. I have faith in a lot of stuff but the idea that these silly superstitions are going to in any way impact my life is ridiculous. My mother's back is fine and if I do have 7 years of bad luck for breaking a piece of glass that has a reflective surface glued into it, then I am not sure what that says about how the world works.

That is all,

Newt

2 Ripples in the pond:

Erin said...

You really went to town on this one. I think you should have purchased a lottery ticket just to see if you really were having a good luck kind of day.

Diana said...

And I even helped out by flying home on Friday, the 13th. Thank goodness I made it home safely after all the superstition rules you broke...