Monday, June 12, 2006

A Modest Proposal

I AM ENGAGED!!! Well, now that we got that out of the way, I now present to you...my proposal.

Have you ever proposed to someone? Well, if you have then you know that it is very helpful if the person being proposed to wants to go out to where you want to propose. In my case Diana, the bride to be, was not so helpful. You see, we had previously decided to clean our filthy apartment and I thought this would help my cause because once we were done I assumed she would want to go out to a nice dinner. Wrong. Instead, I got dressed nicely and she informed me that she didn't want to get dressed up. She wanted to stay in her jeans.

Well, let me tell you that didn't sit to well with my dinner plans but I am not a quitter, so instead I asked her "Where do you want to go eat?" thinking that at least we could go eat somewhere of her choosing. This was when my second bubble burst. "I don't really want to go anywhere. I am too tired."

So, guess what happens when a groom to be tries twice to get his soon to be fiancee to go to dinner and is declined. He gets pissed. After a few minutes of fuming and saying that I would just eat whatever we had in the pantry, I just said "Get in the car, we're going to Fuddruckers." That's right, Fuddruckers, where you can get the World's Greatest Hamburger.

So, after a while over my Bacon Cheeseburger, I looked at my phone and noticed that Thomas had text me and it got us talking about planning weddings, as Thomas was at a wedding hence the discussion. Well that got Diana to say "I am not looking forward to planning a wedding," and being the smart ass that I am I said "Great, does that mean I don't have to propose?"

Let's just say that comment set Diana off. She started yelling and saying, "You just need to shut up about it. Either propose or stop talking about it because I am getting tired of your comments. You know, you say you're joking but maybe there is a hint of truth when you say stuff like that." I had the RING IN MY POCKET. How ironic is it that she said that when she was just feet away from her ring. So I just said ok and got up from the table and went to the restroom. We left shortly after that.

Now to the part on how I was going to propose to begin with. I had gotten one of those little toy holding bubbles that things come in when you buy them out of the turn machines. I had put her ring in it and after dinner I was going to find one of those machines, tell her that I couldn't wait any longer, and buy a toy ring and switch it out with the one I had. Then I was going to trick her into thinking I was proposing with a toy and then she would be surprised to find a real diamond on her finger.

That isn't how it happened. Instead, we came home and sat on the couch and I slid down to the floor and then crawled up on my knees and asked "Are you still mad?" She of course said yes and then I asked "Do you still love me?" I didn't get a lot of enthusiasm but she gave me an "I guess."

I pulled the bubble out of my pocket and said "Honey, I bought you a ring from the machine at the restaurant." She didn't think this was funny but I popped the ring out and kept it hidden. I told her I loved her and wanted to spend the rest of my life with her and took her right hand and started sliding the ring on her finger. She kept saying "This isn't funny" and then informed me that I had the wrong hand.

After switching hands, I got the ring on the right finger and asked her to Marry Me. She finally started to wonder and said, "Are you serious?" I pulled my hands away so she could see the ring and asked her "Does this look serious to you?" And she cried. It took a while but I finally told her she never answered my question and she finally sobbed "Yes"

So that is how Trinity and Diana got engaged. If anyone wants to hear the story, you can now forward them to the written version and save yourself the trouble.

That is all,

Newt

6 Ripples in the pond:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you two. And my I say, FINALLY! I wish you all the happiness in the world.

So my next annoying question--when??

Congratulations again!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulation, only you trinity would have that much trouble getting a ring on her hand. I have come to care about you both.

All my Love and Best wishes.

Mom-in-law
Kim Ramsey

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm very happy for the two of you.

Nat

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you!!!!

Addy's Daddy said...

Finally! I mean, you have a child together and Trin, you have a child from a previous relationship! I am glad that you have finally realized that the best possible environment to raise these two children is in a traditional, married family. I applaud you!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the whole story - you really did have her good and mad at you. =)

Congratulations again, and I'm just so darn happy for you guys!