Sunday, July 05, 2009

TBWCYL Day 185 - Life of the Party

Yesterday's task was simple. I was to join a political party. Now, I am from the Bible belt of Texas and as such, I think I came out of the room with a predisposition to be a Republican. At 18 I was listening to Rush Limbaugh as I drove around doing my delivery job, I got in large scale arguments with a Liberal Fascist when I visited my friends at college, and I voted for Bush...both times.

But, since moving to Dallas, getting married, maintaining a corporate job, and buying a house I guess a few things have changed in my views. Therefore, when this came up I decided that even though I still lean to the Right on fiscal issues, my social awareness won out and I decided to join the...dun dun dun...Democratic Party.

I went to the National Democratic Party website and tried to actually join but they didn't have membership cards. Darn it, I wanted one of those... Anyway, I did the next best thing and gave a donation AND I put my real address. That means they will be calling, writing, and hell, maybe even sending someone to my house to get me more involved. I only gave $25 so I doubt they will make as much of an effort on me as they would had I given them more so hopefully I am safe.

I also joined the Barack Obama mailing list so I get up to the minute updates on what MY President is up to.


I am sure that between my Grandmother rolling over in her grave and Erin's neck going out from shaking her head in disappointment, some will be surprised by my decision. I guess the last 8 years were more influential that I realized.

That is all,

Newt

4 Ripples in the pond:

Girl Interrupted said...

You should just join Stalkers-R-Us ... I mean Twitter, and find out what Mr Obama is up to

Erin said...

(shakes head sadly) I'm surrounded by them here - can't I at least have a reprieve when I come home to my red state?

Addy's Daddy said...

You took one more step towards liberality than even I have! Though I ally mostly with the Asses, and usually vote that way, I just can't make myself join the party because I think this two party system we live with sucks!

It's amazing how many people W. turned to the Democrats. I almost said "the dark side," but I was worried that might get misconstrued...

Trinity said...

Yes, the two party system sucks but until Obama starts his own party we are just going to have to deal with it.